For this paper option, a book exploring important political issues will be analy
For this paper option, a book exploring important political issues will be analyzed and critiqued. The book may be fiction or non-. Similar to the film review (albeit on a larger scale), the goal is to deconstruct, analyze, and critically explore the book’s themes, messages, and/or arguments. What political issues are addressed in the narrative? How does the author explore said issues? What ideas, commentaries and arguments are being presented; what is the author really trying to say? Are these points persuasive? Why or why not? How did the narrative and writing style illustrate and highlight these issues? Was the book aesthetically pleasing? How did the aesthetics support and/or amplify the ideas and messages? How did the book connect to contemporary problems? How did reading it help your political understanding of our world? As with the research paper option, the goal here is developing your critical thinking skills.
1) Understand the reasons for comparison of political systems.
2) Develop a framework for the study, analysis and comparison of different political systems.
3) Analyze power, participation, group activity and rights in democracies.
4) Analyze power, participation, group activity and rights in authoritarian regimes.
5) Appreciate the significance of political culture in the operation of a country’s political system.
6) Learn how the policies of governments are influenced by their political institutions and processes.
7) Focus on an in-depth analysis of a current political system.